Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Handmade Fabrics


I took an awesome fiber arts class at a local art center. I had no idea what to expect and, to be honest, was a little intimidated. I'm learning is there is no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to creating. Some of the most beautiful pieces come out of accidents and miscalculations!
Thus far I've explored texture printing and different types of fabric making. Yesterday we used hand dyed silk fibers and created our own fabric sheets by layering the fibers in different patterns with other elements. I used metallic thread bits and I love the results. We also made some really cool fabric by layering fabric bits, metallics, screen, ribbon, and misc. fibers between two sheets of Solvy, free motion stitching over the top (I used metallic thread) and washing the solvy away. I can think of a million things to make with these fabrics. I think the first thing I'm going to tackle is a journal cover for my daughter and then maybe a purse.

1 comment:

Gail said...

This looks like tons of fun and a great place to use left over threads and fabric pieces. Both turned out lovely.

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????