Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Windows of the Soul....


Pink
Artist

Love
Squared


Part II


As a continuation of the Love Squared project, Monica doled out the squares that were left over after making Love's dress to 20 artists. We were each instructed to make a 10x10 art quilt out of the squares dealt us. Upon completion, our little art quilts are to be forwarded back to Monica who is going to attach them all to create one large art quilt. Cool.

I spread the squares I received out on a worktable in my studio and let them sit for a few weeks, rearranging them most times I walked by. I played with them off and on trying to decide what to do with them. I was getting frustrated as I could not decide which squares to feature - so I decided to feature them ALL -- each square being a window into the soul, into love, loss and hope of its creator.

I used a piece of black and white fabric as the base, and tore pieces of black and white batik into strips (leaving the edges raw and frayed - alla Jude!) which I then couched down to form a grid. I layered each art square onto two pieces of either hand made silk fusion, and/or hand painted fabric or silk for dimension, then stitched around each set with perle cotton or embroidery floss for texture. The plan was for the grid to be the front of the piece.

The dream hand (which I already showed you) has one solitary square (rounded off) for the orb in the center. I think I will give Monica artistic license to make the decision as to which side should be the front and which side should be the back to best suit the cooperative piece best.

Eventually cooperative art quilt will be sold with all proceeds once again going to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. We may get a chance to see somewhere prior to the sale. If that occurs, I'll be sure and let you know.

The little quilts are all due to be in Monica's hot little hands by December 1st. I'm a bit ahead of schedule (for once). I'm looking forward to seeing what the other artists do with their squares. Inasmuch as there is quite a variety of artists participating in this project, it will be fascinating (stylistically speaking) to see what each individual artist does with his/her selection of squares. I'll keep you posted as this wonderful project progresses.

Breathe deep - nourish your soul with this beautiful Autumn day.

13 comments:

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

Well, it's a good thing it's going to a good cause because if it weren't -- and I were you -- they would have to pry it out of my hands while inflicting pain because that is just too gorgeous to give back!!! :O) I really love what you did!

3rdEyeMuse said...

you seriously outdid yourself on this one - I love the whole "Windows of the Soul" idea & "Dream ... with your eyes wide open" ... the only thing that could have made this even an iota better was to see one of my extra's in it. :) It's really gorgeous, C.

how long do we have to wait to see the rest?!?! :)

jude said...

i like how you constructed this one.

Kai said...

You did a beautiful job, Cathie! Monica offered me 10 of the squares to do but I had to decline because my sewing is atrocious. I'm GLAD I did because real ARTISTS like you have them & the quilt will be so wonderful! (Note: I'm going to be out of town from tonight till the 14th and will answer your email when I get home!)

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Nice job on the Love squares. I like both sides. Can't wait to see the combined art quilt.

Brenda said...

Beautiful piece! I can't wait to see the completed piece.
I also wanted to say thank you for your kind comments on my blog. For some reason I have not been getting the comments emailed to me from the blog...don't know what the heck is going on! Anyway, thank you for taking the time and being so sweet.

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

Cathie--I notices another blogger not getting your comments via email. I think this is strange--just a Blogger fu-pah I guess. Anyway, on to the quilt. You have done just a fantastic job. Your group is doing an outstanding job getting you to streach yourselves to outstanding achievements. You have a beautiful soul, Cathie, and I have so enjoyed getting to know you. Keep pushing yourself--your capable of much.

ACey said...

for some reason I thought I had commented already but I guess it didn't go through. Really love this a lot.

girlgonethreadwild said...

*breathing deeply**

What MAGIC you do,

how you set ME on fire grrrl

with each piece,
front & back..

like the COLORS OF THE UNIVERSE just wanted to be with you on this day,

to help INSPIRE and CELEBRATE you!

I'm seriously SMILING the biggest grin EVER!

Pursuing Art... said...

Way to go Cathie...you did a wonderful job and it turned out just BEAUTIFUL! It is amazing how something that can be frustrating for awhile turns out so well in the end. I think ALL the squares look fantastic together!!!

I'm glad Monica has to decide which will be the front...because they are both just AWESOME!!!

xo~Lisa

Teresa said...

Love the little quilt. You are amazing!

GraceBeading said...

Wow... amazing piece girlie. I imagine it is amazing to hold all those squares with so much love and emotion poured into them by their creators. You have certainly done them justice. BRAVO!

Our Hands For Hope said...

You did justice to my two little yellow roses. They were dedicated to my best friend who went to be with the Lord a year and a half ago. This project was quite timely. Thank you
Terisa

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????