Monday, February 16, 2009

Experimentation - Molding Medium, Gel Medium and Tar Gel

We met with our art guild last Wednesday and one of our members, Jodi Ohl explained how to use various media in paintings, collage work and on paper. Inspired by her work which has been published several times in Cloth Paper Scissors Magazine, (visit Sweet Repeats to check it out) we decided to check it out and do our own experiments.

Sabrina got right to work with the molding paste. She molded canvas, paper, metal - basically anything she could get her hands on. Next she drug out the sand paper - sanding, sanding, sanding. I think she's in love.
I, on the other hand, in response not only to Jodi's urging to try medium, but also our attendance at Amy's "intuitive journaling" workshop, got out my journals, acrylics, gouache (which I really love to work with,) and painted some pages using paints and medium.
The medium almost plasticizes the pages giving them a really nice hand, as well as making a great surface for acrylic ink (Liquitex makes gorgeous acrylic inks that write beautifully on acrylic paint) and anything else I want to apply. Picture on the journaling process tomorrow.

I think today we are going to experiment with tar gel, which I heard is great for image transfer on to fabric. I think I'll get my camera out and take a few pictures and try that.

Oooooooh Gizmoooooo...........

9 comments:

3rdEyeMuse said...

Wow! both hearts are sooooo wonderful! Well done!

... what's tar gel?

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

They both look great!

Pursuing Art... said...

Hi girls...loving the new header picture!

It looks like you girls are having a fun time experimenting with molding paste. I love the results...the hearts are great!

I have never heard of tar gel...but I'm looking forward to seeing your image transfers on fabric!!! ~Lisa ;-)

P.S. Love your comment on my blog!!! You are too funny C!!! I KNOW!!! It's coming!!! LOL!!! Waiting for *Lovergirl and Loverboy* to get home from their rendezvous!!! And, that's not all I'll be sharing! I'm slowly getting caught up. ~me

Unknown said...

This is very inspiring and instructive, thanks so much for sharing your passion,
love the red heart

Katiejane said...

This looks like fun. Bet you had a blast. The outcome looks really cool.

Jeanne Rhea said...

Very nice pieces! I had fun playing with the tar gel and tried a technique that popped into my mind during Amy's demo.

ACey said...

seems like things are hopping nicely on your end. am another person who had never heard of tar gel - must investigate!

Creations From The Soul said...

Hi There
Thanks so much for your lovely comments, I am very interested in this tar gel stuff sounds really cool.... I love your art and your stitching is wonderful! Keep us all posted on whatever you use that tar gel on :) Happy Crafting!

Jodi Ohl said...

I'm so glad you and Sabrina experimented with all the new goodies we discussed!! The hearts are fantastic! I'm so proud :)

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????