Monday, July 13, 2009

Little Art Squares Make Me Happy....


Whenever I get into a creative "funk" I drag out my boxes of "stuff" (mistakes of art gone "wrong!" and I've had a lot of those lately..) and make art squares. This helps me clear my brain and experiment on a smaller scale. These are so enjoyable to make and they can be used in tons of other projects.

Most of these are made by simply felting down fibers, yarn, silk, angelina fibers, etc. with my embellisher, on a base of peltex or felt, or wool. and then layering with organza, or other "meltable" textiles, heating it up to melting point (for interesting texture) and then embellishing with charms, sequin, beads, Swavrovski crystal, felt, etc.




People come up with tons of uses for these little squares which range from 1 inch (inchie) to 2 inches for the larger ones. They can be sewn or pinned onto jackets, purses, journal covers, made into charms by putting a grommet in the corner, ephemera for scrapbooking, journal pages, etc.

I've got some studying to do today for a professional licensing class, then a little work, a few chores, and hopefully some stitching time. Whatever your day brings your way - grab hold of it and get the MOST out of it you can!

9 comments:

3rdEyeMuse said...

I highly recommend clicking on the images to see the exquisite detail of these sweet art squares - beautiful!

ACey said...

You get the most happy mileage out of your "mistake box" and that is totally inspiring. Am headed out for an afternoon in the garden, then a nice hot shower and DEFINITELY some stitching time.

Lindsey said...

What a cool idea...I can't wait to get rid of this perfect patchworky stuff of mine and get free a little bit... I saw your Gizmo...he's precious! I love that coloration. I fixed my navbar thanks for the heads up on that....

I'm a kindle girl as well...couldn't live without it...looks like you have the new one!

Now I'm going to read your NY post again b/c we're going in the fall. I love that part about the whole childhood home thing...first of all...great home...second of all, I get real sentimental about that kind of thing. Hope you jam on that licensing thing! Good luck.
Lindsey

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

your box of mistakes makes for some great stuff! I love all of them.

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

Your squares are gorgeous Cathie
Love, Carolyn x

Katiejane said...

These are soo adorable! Your squares are the most exquisite mistakes I've ever seen. Mine should look this good!

Unknown said...

Hi Cathie, these are lovely little bits and ends:) And inspiring.
Good luck with everything you are doing today, I wish you the nicest Wednesday, love, Andrea

Michelle said...

Beautiful ... I just love your style. I made some "inchies" this week too ... but yours are much prettier! Hope we can get together soon. xo.

Pursuing Art... said...

Your mistakes turned into wonderful little art squares! You are right...there are so many ways to use these and enjoy them! They are beautiful, as always, Cathie!

XO ~me

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????