Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Dabbling in Watercolor....



My mom told me once that she hated sunflowers and hollyhocks. I was shocked. I couldn't imagine how a person who grew up in the country (in Ohio) could hate sunflowers. When I asked her why, she told me that out in the country where she grew up they planted them around the outhouses to hide them -- and she's hated them ever since. I still love sunflowers and every time I see one, I marvel at their splendor. They are so huge, and I don't know if you've ever grown them (I do every year) their heads are very, very heavy -- it amazes me their stems can support all that weight -- yet they stand tall and proud with their faces shining up at the sky. They are bright, they are beautiful, they are gigantic and I love them. I guess that's why they keep finding their way into my work. This is a watercolor I did (on the right) a while ago while taking an art class a cute little art studio in Wake Forest called..... The Sunflower Studio. (no joke!)


No comments:

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????