Friday, June 6, 2008

Hey Katie Jane...... it's on it's Way to Ohio!!!!


I know, it's taken long enough -- right?? Well, here it is and it's on it's way to you as I write this. The base is an acrylic painting on heavy white cotton duck cloth. I appliqued hand dyed batik iris shapes down on top of the painting and free motion embroidered over the iris and the leaves for texture.
I did some "fill in" quilting throughout the piece reminiscent of impressionistic brush strokes -- short and in varying directions. I used a cotton - wool blend batting and backed it with a commercial cotton. I didn't want a hard edge, so I stitched some the hand dyed fabric over to the front and free motioned over top of it.
To finish it off, I tied some variegated dyed ribbons to the top for an organic hanging element (at Kathy's request.)



In return for the iris, Katie sent me the coolest stained glass wind chimes for my garden. I've been visiting her blog for a while as I have a whole box of stained glass and haven't figured out what to do with it yet other than the mosaic table I made for the front porch. Kathy's made some gorgeous stuff and goes on some great excursions. To pay Katie a visit click here.

I've hung the wind chimes right by the front porch. In the early morning when I sit outside with the dogs and the the wind is blowing the reflection from the sun dances across the grass and Gizmo likes to chase it.

These are just beautiful Katie. Thank you so much and please know that they are appreciated and enjoyed every single day!

11 comments:

Vicki W said...

The iris piece is beautiful! Worth the wait I'm sure. The wind chimes are terrific.

sammyjo said...

Wow your work is so beautiful, im glad you visted my blog because you've made it possible for me to see your wonderful work.

I love the colour of this piece, nice work

Noel said...

Cathie, your Iris piece turned out gorgeous....well worth the wait!
Katie is going to love it as the picture never does it quite the justice as it does face to face.

The wind chime is a very nice piece too. I have to go check out her blog now!

Katiejane said...

Cathie, this iris turned out so beautifuly and I can't wait to see it in person. I will love every stitch because you made it.

I'm so glad you (and Gizmo) like your chimes. They do look nice in your setting. (Well, anything would look nice in your setting.)

Keep cool in North Carolina, it's hot here too.

Candace said...

What beautiful work, the quilt and the chimes. There are such talented people blogging, and it makes you feel a small part of it to read about it and get to share in a little of the process.

Anonymous said...

Cathie, your iris wall quilt is gorgeous!And the blue ribbons and hung from a tree branch are the perfect finishing touches!
Pretty neat glass wind chimes you swapped for also!

Unknown said...

Wonderful your piece of Irises, I love the colours, and katies windchimes are great, too, I imagine the soft sound they make when moving with the wind...
What a nice exchange.

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

Great exchanges here. Love the Iris piece and Katie does beautiful wind chimes too. How fun.

girlgonethreadwild said...

Oh dear God, I can hear it chime as I type... such sweet melody and how it makes me heart SWOON. :)

xo, Monica

Katiejane said...

I got it! I got it! The iris panel arrived today and I just love it. I've posted it on my blog. I have it in my office, next to my desk. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Pursuing Art... said...

Your iris quilt is just beautiful! I'm sure Katie will treasure it! The chimes she made for you are lovely too! ;-)

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????