Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Surrounded by Pink.......and I Don't Even Really Like Pink!

I've been in the mood to make some things for the Season of Hearts.

Taking a lesson from Acey's passion for purple , I rummaged through my stash(es) of various materials and began plucking out everything that was even remotely pink. Pink thread, fuscia yarn, magenta silk, coral satin, baby pink organza, rose tulle, shimmery pink painted tyvek, hot pink Swavrovski crystals, salmon angelina fibers, etc., etc. I've never worked like this before (for fear of making a mess) but how enjoyable that was.

I wanted to make some type of fiber/fabric base to make some pins and valentine post cards. So I grabbed a few pieces of peltex and began layering pink stuff. Once I was satisfied with the layers, I covered them with a piece of polyester organza and free motioned all over it with pink metallic thread. Then - came the heat gun.


I made a few different pieces like this and cut out a bunch of hearts. I love the lacey effect you get when you heat blast stitched organza. Sometimes you burn right through the fibers and if you've used kunin felt for a base (like I did) you melt right through that leaving holes. I like to layer something shiny behind the holes like satin or foil for interest.

I decided to get out the bead box and started adding some beads. I'm in love! After a few hours of fumbling like a big fingered idiot with the beads (I do hope that gets easier in time,) I decided to do some more free motion stitching over the tops with metallic threads.


Now I'm trying to decide what to do with all of these little hearts.

Some will be turned in to Valentine pins by finishing the backs with wool felt or fabric, satin stitching the edges and adding pin closures. Others may few may find their way on to a little art quilt -- maybe utilizing that black and white woven background I made a while ago. I did promise Sabrina her pick of the litter to wear on her denim jacket on Valentine's day. In any event, I'll be working with these over the next few days along with a few other things, and will post again once they're finished.






Parting Shots: Almost done with Lisa's Peace Sign Tote, and here's the robe I made for Sabrina for Christmas. I used a delicious cuddly minky fabric and when I asked her what kind of "pretty, feminine" fabric she wanted for the collar and cuffs, thinking she would want some toille, or satin, she said, "SKULLS." " I want skulls."

Horrors. A pretty robe, with SKULLS? I searched far and wide for the "prettiest" "skull" fabric I could find. It was a learning experience as I did put the collar on and faced it with interfacing so it would lay nice. I had a great time making this for her and want to make another one in maybe a flannel backed satin.
Ahhh, teenagers. Pretty skulls. Yeah, sure.

11 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

What fun those hearts are. That beautiful funky robe is a challenge well met. How in the world did you know where to look for "pretty" skull fabric?

3rdEyeMuse said...

those hearts are fabulous! what a great and clever, clever idea!

I bet Sabrina adores her robe with the pretty skull fabric details. that makes you a good mama, you know. :)

Unknown said...

Cathie, the hearts are delicious, they look so very perfect! Great experiments with layering stuff and then get this! The robe is perfect too! I just love the skullfabric, what a great idea. And everything looks neatly done and perfect!
love
Andrea

Nikki said...

I just want to touch and play with that pile of pink. I've come to appreciate pink with all the princesses in my house.

The hearts are great!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

The hearts look great! I work that way often. My studio will never be featured in a magazine as I am always pulling stuff out.

You are a nice mom to make a lovely soft robe and then allow Sabrina to choose skulls for it.

GraceBeading said...

WOW... those are SO cool! And pink to boot. Wonderful texture and color. That robes is pretty dang spiffy too.

jude said...

i have made my peace with pink.

Pursuing Art... said...

Ah...got it! Layering and melting the organza...like the tree! The hearts look wonderful and the beads will be beautiful on them. They will make great pins and a wonderful art quilt.

Sabrina's robe turned out fantastic even with the skull print...and it is a 'pretty' skull print!!! I bet she loves cuddling up and being cozy in that minky fabric! Love that Kaffe fabric too.

I see it is cold your way! I hope Gizmo and Toby are both sporting penguin hats!!!

Stay safe and warm...~Lisa ;-)

girlgonethreadwild said...

i thought i left a comment here before? Any hoot, CRACK ME UP... i also am not fond of PINK.. believe THAT? (laughs) As a kid you'd have to TIE ME DOWN to wear it, nontheless put IT in my hair!

Now look at me.. pink, pink, pink... my midle name?

LOVE the robe, I wear size... J/K.

And am STOKED to hear you two took in a new roommate. :)

So very happy to see you STITCHING up tornados (I can imagine just how fast you are.... TEACH me how to quicken my pace, winter has me seeing SNOOZE buttons).

yours, me :)

Michelle said...

Wow, you've been busy!!! Wasn't the snow great fun??? I took a zillion pics of Rosi, too. Toby and Gizmo are so cute. Your new work is gorgeous -can't wait to see you!!

*~tabby~* crooked heart art said...

hey girlie
beautiful job on sabrina's robe :)
and i love your little hearts
enjoy your day
x's & o's
tabby :)

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????