Monday, May 17, 2010

Gothic Baby Quilt (??) & Book/Kindle Covers ...

Had some quality studio time this weekend.  With chores (both inside and outside) all done by Friday night  - I had an entire day to wander about doing what I please.

I've been doing alot of cutting and piecing of my modern quilt blocks the last few weeks so I decided to take a break from that and did some free motion quilting on my little gothic baby quilt.  I'm actually getting the hang of free motion work.  (click to enlarge quilting pictures) On this particular quilt I'm doing heart shadows (4 deep) and swirls in the plain white blocks and will probably ditch quilt the gothic blocks.

 I finished the quilting yesterday  and am going to start piecing a red, white and black polkadot binding which I think will frame it nicely.  I've had a few e-mails from my Etsy shop(s) asking for gothic baby items, so with this one I gave it a try. Those two words "gothic" and "baby" just don't seem to go together in my mind - but in the spirit of the challenge, I used some of the fabric I made Blaise's Harley quilt and cut it up pretty small.  It's actually cute

(Click HERE to go to Clevelandgirlie's Etsy shop Kindle and Nook Cover Department!  )I also drew up a pattern to make myself a Kindle cover and a large book cover to protect my Kindle and hardcover books I tote around with me in my purse, car and beach bag. (It makes me crazy when my books get damaged!)   Once I started making these - I couldn't stop.  I made some for Sabrina, some for gifts and a few for my Etsy shop.  They are so cute and work really well.  Sabrina also likes to carry around magazines with her in her tote bag and with the price of things like Cloth Paper Scissors and Artful Blogger she likes to keep them nice - so I made her a magazine cover that she can fit two or three publications in and then throw them into her art bag or tote.  They really serve the purpose (and look cute!)

Today I've planned a massive clean-up as I've made quite a mess in the studio!  Hey - has anyone started on Christmas items yet?  I went to my favorite textile shop this weekend and they've gotten a whole bunch of Chrismtas fabric in already.  What's everyone working on?

11 comments:

libbyquilter said...

good moring Cathie~!!~ sounds like you had a fantasticly productive weekend and i love all the colors in your photos this a.m.

the quilting is so very sweet ~ i'm glad i took the time to enlarge the photo and look closely~!!~

i've been plugging along on a doll quilt for the strawberry fields quilt-a-long. it's being hand sewn and going slowly but i sure do like the way the little blocks are sewing up~!!~ in a week or so i'll be considering setting fabrics . . .

have a beautiful spring day full of sunshine and smiles~!~

:)
libbyQ

Joei Rhode Island said...

Getting the hang of it????!!!! This is great!
Thought of you ;yesterday as DH and I rode all over Eastern CT on the bikes....gorgeous day.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Goodness, you are so organised Cathie - I wish some of that would rub off on me! Love your free motion quilting! Have a fun week. x

Lynn Cohen said...

Such pretty stuff here. I love ALL your creations! ALL!!!!

carole brungar said...

WOW! you've been very busy!!

Mim said...

That's all free motion quilting? Amazing work!!!

Deborah said...

Beautiful creations! You really accomplished quite a lot!

Candace said...

So creative and such pretty fabrics. I would like to get a kindle one of these days and if I do I'll try one of these.

Barb said...

I am absolutely in love with your corgis!!! I truly love your blog and will be a regular visitor. We have more in common than you think; my husband owns a Harley--a Fat Boy, red. We have two kids--a boy and a girl. Love your choice of music--it is mine too! Here's to visiting often! Love your quilt room; will show pictures of mine after its rehabilitation! The quote of home is just too perfect! OMG, we will have to meet someday!

Barb said...

One last thing for tonight, your work is amazing!

Pursuing Art... said...

Great idea! Absolutely love the kindle, book, and magazine cover idea and they look fantastic! Love the black/white bird cover.

The heart stitching on the baby gothic quilt looks beautiful! ;-)

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????