Friday, September 17, 2010

Weaving a Cloth...

I  had a little time today so I decided to work on my first cloth weaving project for Jude's Cloth 2 Cloth Workshop.  I spent about 1/2 hour tearing up strips of neutrals - canvas, linen, sheers, cottons, silks and some commercial cottons. 
The first cloth I wove was a neutral cloth.  I laid the strips out so nicely, tacking each one at each end with pins - in an effort to keep them nice and tidy.  I then began weaving - back and forth, back and forth until I completed about a 13x13 inch square.  Then - it hit me. 
What an IDIOT.  I tacked the weaving down on my paded grid ironing surface - BUT I FORGOT TO PUT A PIECE OF BACKING DOWN FIRST.  Geeeze.  Not the end of the world - but way to make things more difficult for myself (a habit I have.)


I laid a muslin square over top of the woven piece and commenced to hand tack it. Problem solved.  Over the next  few days, I am going to make a few more of these so I'm ready to whatever comes next and have a few choices as far as foundation cloth colors, textures, etc.  


NOTE TO SELF:  Next time - don't forget  to lay the base down FIRST - THEN weave on top of that. 

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????