Saturday, August 4, 2012

Feeling Blue....

Recently I spent an entire weekend learning the art of Indigo Dyeing and Shibori.

The results....
...lovely!

 I decided that rather than work on only a few select larger pieces over the weekend, that  I would dye many 6 - 12"   samples from my natural fiber and organic fiber fabric collection - observing how each of the shibori techniques (wrapping, clamping, resisting folding, etc.) and indigo dyes would react with the different fibers.

For the most part I used a variety of  density of linens and lots of silks (dupioni, voile, noile and raw) with some cottons, rayons, cheese cloth and wools thrown in.



All fabrics were dyed with indigo and while the pictures are misleading - the shade of indigo achieved is best represented by the cheese cloth pictured above - which was taken without a flash, inside.  The other pictures were taken outside and seem a much brighter blue - but they are not.  They are true indigo.

I now have a wonderful stack of hand dyed indigo shibori that I am in the process of cutting up for use in a "special" quilt I have designed for  my little girl to take off to college in January.
On the second day of the workshop, the instructor went over some of the basics for creating Bojagi (Korean) patchwork.  I was immediately smitten with the translucent and ethereal quality of this magical textile.

Chungie Lee wrote a wonderful book illustrating the technique, and discussing the history of Bojagi.  I plan on making a Bojagi panel for one of my office windows this winter.
I knew I was going to fall in love with indigo and shibori dyeing.  There is something magical about this process - as well as the results.

The plan now is to research the chemistry involved and mix up my own vats of indigo for use in the fall - when the weather is conducive to spending hours upon hours working under the inviting canopy of trees in my backyard to create more beautiful sails of blue.


1 comment:

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Can't wait to see what you make with these beautiful blues! (And happy birthday!)

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????