Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Painting Negative Space in Watercolor....

"I went to the woods because
 I wished to live deliberately, 
to front only the essential facts of life, 
and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, 
and not, when I came to die, 
discover that I had not lived."

-Gustav Klimt 

I have been working on exercises in negative space painting.

 Negative painting trains the brain to see and appreciate the beauty surrounding physical objects by painting the "space" around objects rather than the object itself.

It  is  a very useful and purposeful exercise.


Forests are a perfect study for negative painting.
The spacial relationships between the trees can be quite beautiful.

One worth taking the time not just to notice, but to contemplate,
to study.

I've heard artists refer to this relationship  as "syncopation."
I can see why.

4 comments:

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

What a great exercise. I like the monochromatic palette that you used for your interpretation.

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

I love working only with negative space - you can really start to see and improve your work that way. Your watercolour is really special and your images remind me of a study I did for my degree of Anselm Adams and especially his work with trees :)

Unknown said...

This is really amazing!!!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

These are fun, Cathie - negative space is so important and can make lovely symmetry. Lesley x

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????