Friday, July 19, 2013

Lakewood Park, OH

Lakewood Park was always a favorite escape for me as a kid.  I spent hours upon hours, riding my bike, walking, swimming, wandering....
Cleveland looks so beautiful across Lake Erie.
I went there today to hunt down an old favorite spot.  It's still there - right on the lake, just as I remembered it.  But along the way, I stumbled upon a new favorite spot.  The park has changed a bit. Still familiar, yet somewhat unfamiliar.  I spent 1/2 the day there.  Reminiscing, remembering.  Wishing I could share this new spot with Wanda.  She would love it.  I spent a lot of time at that park with my Gram.

On July 4th, 1969 I was at Lakewood Park with her.  She took me to see a concert and the fireworks.  A tornado ripped through the park that day.  She and I ran through the park trying to avoid falling trees and lightening.  We ended up underneath someone's house  - waiting for the storm to end.  It ended up being one of the worst disasters Lakewood has ever seen.

Lakewood has changed quite a bit along Detroit.  But the side streets - they all still look the same.
What a great day I had wandering the streets of Lakewood.  The Library, the Hospital, the Park, St. James - it was so good to see them all again.



1 comment:

sukipoet said...

One of my good college friends, we are still friends, grew up in Lakewood. She lived in ND for awhile but recently returned to Ohio to live in Oberlin so I know she has gone through Lakewood a few times.

What an experience you had with the tornado. yikes. take care, Suki

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????