Saturday, August 24, 2013

Dyeing with MX Procion Dyes....



 This morning I prepared 9 colors of Procion and a batch of walnut hull dye in mason jars.

I prepared some resists last night (flour and Inkodye) and left them to dry overnight.






I portioned out a wee bit of each color into a plastic cup and I thickenedd that dye with sodium alginate

(a natural seaweed thickener.)

I learned from my experiments last summer that if you want to use a water soluble dye
and not wax - you MUST thicken the dye so it does not soak through your resist.

Thickened dye  provides much richer color and resist definition.


This will be the first time I've ever used thickened dye.

I'm letting everything sit overnight.  I will then heat set the dye and wash it out.

Can't wait to see the results.






No comments:

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????