Friday, February 29, 2008

Happy Friday!


I have absolutely nothing (to quote Vicki here,) blog- worthy to report today. It's been a busy few weeks so I haven't had much freetime. I've got a few cool things in the works (and still need to post Brina's artshow pictures, )but not much progress this week on my stuff -- so I'll wait until the end of the weekend to post pictures where you can see some interesting progress.

Brina is getting ready to go on a ski trip with her class so I think we are going to head over to the Outer Banks this weekend in the Jeep (which can drive on the sand) for a night -- we'll find a nice secluded spot (which is the entire beach at this time of year!) pitch a tent, start a bonfire, do some serious star gazing whilest listening to the roar of the winter ocean (one of my favorite activities!) It's supposed to be windy and cold, but I don't care. We've got all the gear so that won't be a problem. I do love the ocean in the winter.

Did you know that wild Spanish Mustangs roam the Outer Banks? We see them every other time we head out there -- it truly is a breathtaking sight to see these wild horses that I have read - were imported by the Spaniards, some having swam to shore off Spanish ships that sank off the Atlantic Coastline. Their bloodlines have been studied and DNA examined and while not with 100% certainty, the conclusion is that the virtually unadulterated DNA of these horses can be linked back to the Spanish livestock of the 16th Century. Amazing.

What are YOU working on or doing this weekend? Whatever it is, push the limits - and have fun!

6 comments:

Wurzerl said...

What a interesting story of the Spanish mustangs. Amazing!! I know some wild horses in England, at the French South Coast, that' s it in Europe.
I wish you a wonderful weekend
Wurzerl

Vicki W said...

Ahhh, weekend at the Outer Banks! Heaven! Except for the camping part. I'll never be caught sleeping in a tent again but a hotel would be nice! Have fun!

girlgonethreadwild said...

Brilliant way to spend a night! I miss our visits to corpus christi TX and camping out on the sand!

The thought of wild horses in the distance sounds so picturesque ...

YOU live life so beautifully Cathie!

and thanks for the tip on the book, I'll look for it this week... Art on, Monica :)

GraceBeading said...

Hi Cathie, well for having nothing worthy to report, you certainly have some amazing photos up! I love the shot of the wild mustangs. I've never been to the Outer Banks and don't know much about the area, I found the info about the mustangs fascinating - I bet it is amazing to see that in person.

Camping on the beach sounds positively divine! I'm looking forward to reading your next post about it.

sewkalico said...

The ocean and stargazing Yes Yes Yes, but no camping for me especially in the cold LOL. I'm sure you'll have a great time and maybe someday when my boys want to go camping I'll go along and with the right kit I'll enjoy it too :O)

*~tabby~* crooked heart art said...

hi cathie
oh camping the sea and wild horses-thats heaven to me!
i do know about the wild horses i read misty of chichotuge(?) as a girl and learned all about them thank you for bringing back that memory and sharing those beautiful pics:)
x's&o's
tammy

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????