Friday, May 15, 2009

Cathie's Going to Boot Camp..... (oh Crap!)


Yep - Monday morning, bright and early (5:30 a.m.) while y'all are still tucked in dreaming about color combinations, quilting patterns, stitching designs and cheesecake(!) I'll be sweating and crying during my first class of bootcamp. I've been reading about and hearing about Adventure Bootcamps that are popping up all over California and New York and we finally got one here in the Triangle.

After months (really it's been the last few years) of exercising (on and off) and drinking protein shakes - I still have not achieved the discipline I am searching for and know that I need to get to the level of fitness I desire. It's not coming easy to me like it did when I was younger. I need some hard core motivation and discipline - so I enlisted.

I met with my bootcamp instructor yesterday for a very um "enlightening" hour of getting weighed, measured and the highlight of the experience - getting measured with CALIPERS. CALIPERS - NOT FUN. You can't escape the truth - of the calipers - they DON'T LIE. By utilizing the measurements of the calipers, your age, and a few other hideously embarassing variables, my instructor was able to determine just how much of Cathie is lean muscle and how much of Cathie is pure fat. Um....... not good.

ON the upsdie - I've got my plan mapped out and I'm ready. I am SO ready. The bootcamp I've signed up for is a 4 week on, one week off - 5 day a week program with a gym membership thrown in. I plan on going to bootcamp at 5:30 and trying to get back in to the gyn in the afternoon at least three days a week for strength training and to ride my bike at least one day.
I've been reading Jillian Michael's books (all three of them) and I like her hard core approach. Jillian makes it very clear that you get out of fitness what you put in to it and a few 30-60 minute workouts a week just ain't gonna cut it if you have serious work to do. It's got to be a 24/7 commitment. But I already know that. I've done this before, successfully losing almost 40 pounds, and keeping it off for many years. I KNOW what it takes and it DOES TAKE the 24/7 approach.
Now that I'm older and have so many more responsibilities - it's so much harder. But I do know one thing - perseverance pays off. And I DO keep trying.
I won't be blogging about this journey, but I will post weekly updates on the sidebar - for accountability! So wish me luck as I go at this once again in a new direction - with a renewed sense of purpose!
Sabrina and I will be doing some girlie stuff and hanging out this weekend. We had planned on spending the weekend in Virginia Beach, but the weather is supposed to be stormy all weekend, so we're staying around here.
Do keep me posted as to what's going on in your neck of the woods!

15 comments:

Mary Welsh Hubbard said...

I'm hoping I'll lose weight just hearing about your workouts! LOL. I'm hoping anyway. I don't like to sweat so I don't think I would do well! seriously. I hate to sweat! :O) It makes it hard to workout without sweating - I end up sitting on the sofa WATCHING the workout like it's a movie. I'm a mess. Happy Weekend girlfriend! I'll be thinking about you Monday - and all that sweating - eeeee.

Lynn Cohen said...

Bravo for your committment to yourself. My daughter (age 40) does a bootcamp workout! She is very fit, always has been. I admire her.

I am making more fabric ATCs and will post them for tomorrow so be sure to pick yours. Or tell me to send you one you decide.

Talking Horses Arts said...

Wishing you all the strength and good luck in the world Cathie!
You will achieve your goal, I know you can do it!!!
Andrea.

Creations From The Soul said...

You go girl! This almost sounds fun to me, LOL I swear if I lived close to ya, I would go too! I am going to look into this in my area. I wish you the best! Michele

Judy Alexander said...

Congrats on making the commitment! I have considered getting Jillian's latest book. The older I get the harder it is to loose weight. Just can't seem to get on track.

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Good luck Cathie, you're going to need it! Will be in touch, Lesley.

Katiejane said...

I commend you for your efforts. I gave up last winter. I'm just too old and I work too hard to come home and work some more. I'd like to be trimmer, but I'm not exactly fat, so it will just have to do. You don't look overweight in your pictures. I think you look good. Good luck, I hope it works. Let us know.

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

Oh I envy your fortitude. I have Watched 'You are what you eat' on TV with an English Jullian. Is she the same blonde? She gets lots of good results if they follow her.
Congrats on doing it. Where did you get her books? I will be interested in the results. YOU GO GIRL!!

3rdEyeMuse said...

you CAN do it! way to go, Cathie ... now that's it's written and the fact that you're posting sidebar updates to be accountable, NOTHING's gonna stop you!!

Penny L Weaver said...

you've got the right attitude to make this work, girie! i am seeking some serious discipline, too! *let me know if you find any extra :-?* wishing you great success!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Good luck with the boot camp. I'm not really sure what it involves but it sounds painful! Ouch!!

Hope you reach your personal goals Cathie, good luck!
xx

Nikki said...

Oh, do keep us updated! You are inspiring me. I wasn't great at the fitness thing when I was young, so being a little older has made it even harder! I'm not willing to sign up for the calipers, but I'm shooting for an hour a day.

Pursuing Art... said...

Way to go, Cathie! I know YOU will achieve the goals you've set for yourself. It is tough...the older we get the harder it is. I admire you for doing it!!! You go girl!!!

That is a bummer that you girls didn't get to hit the beach, but it's best that you waited for some better weather...would be a lot more fun. I bet you girls still had a great time!

XOXO ~me

Unknown said...

WOW! You go girl! Congratulations on your decision, your perseverance, your successes!
love
Andrea

girlgonethreadwild said...

uh huh.. that's what I'm talkin' bout. step.step..1..2..3..4..

*good for you to give it all you've got*
GO GIRL!

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????