Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Modern Quilt Guild...

There's this kind of cool "movement" going on in quilting - it's a push toward the modern aspect of colorplay and design.  I've been following it for a while and I really, really like it. 

I recently bought this book as the patterns contained within fit nicely into the modern genre of quilting.  Gorgeous color paired with black, bold hues paired with white - lots powerful contrast - right up my alley.  Super nice book with great designs and excellent instructions. 

I've decided my next project is going to be a modern quilt for my new outside patio. We just had a stone fireplace built and ordered a cozy sectional for in front of it.   I'd really like to have a nice quilt ready to cuddle under on those cold Autumn nights when the fireplace is lit. I'm in the color selection process right now.  The furniture is chocolate brown wicker with winter white cushions - so basically- anything goes. 

I've joined the Triangle Modern Quilt Guild, and re-newed my Capital Quilter's Guild membership so I'm looking forward to re-connecting with my muse over the cooler months, and getting back to my pursuit of creative endeavors. It's been a while.

In the meantime - we are still enjoying the Outer Banks.  Just got back the other day from a 6 day visit.  Took the corgis to the beach quite a bit and had a blast.  One thing I love about the Outer Banks is that the water is still brisk (64 degrees) and really takes your breath away when you first dive in (although Toby doesn't seem to mind the cold water!)

I've noticed blogs are really quiet lately - so I am assuming everyone is enjoying the outdoors as much as I am.  Even with the heat - I just can't stay inside - or I get cranky.  And with only a few more weeks of summer left for the Reccas, I want to take advantage of every moment.

Hope you are enjoying your summer.

7 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

I'm still blogging nearly every day!
Love the quilts you show here and look forward to see what you create!
Glad you had fun in the Outer Banks; the dogs look like they were certainly enjoying themselves!!! Happy Summer!

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Really love your summertime pics Cathie x

Unknown said...

Oo and new project and a modern one at that... sounds like a plan to me!

CAROLYN said...

Enjoy what's left of your summertime. Look forward to seeing the quilt (in progress?). How is your sketchbook project coming along?

I'm still blogging when I can. I've had a lot of visitors, been ill, and now on the finishing touches of my art quilt for Festival of Quilts

Miss you on my blogs ;o)

Love n hugs

ps. like the new pic of you and hubby on the sidebar

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I have looked at that book too. I am leaning toward the wacky stream of quilts though. My room is nearly de-cluttered and I am almost ready. I have been transitioning from beading to quilting. We'll see what we both come up with, won't we.
xx, Carol

Katiejane said...

Looks like everyone is still having fun. Sigh.
I'll be looking forward to the Modern Quilts to come. I love abstract quilts, personally. I'm less tradional than a lot of people.
Keep cool!

Paige said...

I just joined the Triangle MQG and found your blog through the website. I liked that book too. Especially the quilt with black, white and grays that looks like UPC symbols!

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????