One of my favorite blogs to visit is Wurzerl's Garten. Wurzerl has to be one of the most talented and knowledgeable gardeners I've ever met. Whenever I visit her blog I am totally mesmerized by not only her knowledge of nature and flowers, but of her amazing ability to transform her little corner of cyberspace into the most amazing visual and intellectual -- natural adventure. I wanted to thank her in some way for the hours and hours of pleasure I receive reading her stories and looking at her pictures so - I selected one of my favorite pictures - a lovely Hepatica Transsilvanica - she has photographed, and transformed it into a little art quilt just for her.
I recently received a lovely little 6x6 from Fannie wherein she utilized Neocolor II crayons (see post below with the sunflower.) I am so enamored with Fannie's technique, I decided to give it a try myself on one of Wurzerl's flowers. Because I typically work with acrylic paint -- this was an adventure for me. Water Soluable Crayons are a little unpredictable (as are my Tsukineko Inks) as they bleed and you have to be good at anticipating their "bleed" so as not to ruin your design. I don't have Neocolors, but I do have Aquarelles which I think are basically the same thing -- watersoluable high pigment crayons.
Here is an abreviated version of my procedures:
First, I selected the flower I wanted to make (top pictured left.) I then blew the photograph up on my photocopier to fill 8 1/2 x 11.
I decided upon a white organza for the base fabric - a choice I was hesitant on - but ultimately am happy about because it gives piece a nice shimmery quality. I sketched the flowers out on to the organza with graphite. Then I laid in some flower and leaf color with Tsukineko Inks.
After the ink dried, I went back in with the Aquarelle crayons and put in some detail on the petals and leaves. Then my favorite part - the stitching. I created the center of the flowers by freemotion stitching with shiny blue rayon thread around the yellow Aquarelle center. I then went about the piece and free motion stitched details in the petals of the flowers and the leaves.
With that done, I went back in with some holographic thread and did some basic fill in quilting around the flowers and leaves to fill up the background and add more shimmer.
To finish the flower off -- I added some dimensional paint for the stamens of this flower which I think really made it come alive. I still have to bind it -- and my next post will be about asking your opinions on which of four fabrics to use as I am stumped.
Please be sure to stop by Wurzerl's Garten - but make sure you have poured yourself a nice cup of tea first -- as I'm sure you'll be there a while. And Wurzerl -- if you're reading this -- I hope you like my interpretation of your lovely Hepatica Transsilvanica -- it's my way of saying "Thank You!" for all the joy you bring. XO