Thursday, September 20, 2012

Stitching Sunflowers Colored with Caran d'Ache Neocolors -- a tutorial of sorts...

Sunflower centers stitched  using my
Bernina Stitch Regulator.
Such a cool device.
Beautifully stitches teeny, tiny stitches,
 'round and 'round in circles - effortlessly!

I dug this little piece out of the WIP basket and decided I was in the mood to work on it a little bit.  I have quite a few hand drawn and painted pictures I've done over the last year - just hanging out in this basket waiting to be stitched.  And with the official end of summer fast approaching - I decided to honor the change of season by stitching some sunflowers.


CLICK ON IMAGE TO VIEW DETAIL
TRY THIS TECHNIQUE:  Using a piece of pre-washed organic muslin (I wash my muslin at least 3 or 4 times) layered  on top of a piece of buttery soft flannel for stability.  An original design  has been loosely (and I mean "loosely" - no details here) colored onto the muslin with Caran d'Ache Neocolors II, (one of my favorite artist supplies) basically just laying down color -  which I then go over with a  brush heavily loaded with water  for a runny, painterly effect.  After it dries,  I commence with my  free motion stitching using solid and variegated threads  to enhance the design.   This is still a work in progress - but it IS progressing.

1 comment:

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Love this - time to get my Neocolors out, they're still packed from our move to the US 14 months ago - you've inspired me :)

Total Pageviews

Where Are You????